Michaela Spinks-Theatre Exam Question
Q) Lysistrata uses humour to tackle serious issues for a 21st
century audience. Justify a production of the play in the light of this
statement.
As a director, my production for Lysistrata focuses on The
Womens Land Army during WW2, which involved the women taking over the
agricultural work around rural areas, whilst the men were off fighting in the
war. I wish to involve humour within my play through the use of exaggerating
the characters personalities, incorporating fluid exaggerated movements, and
through the use of experimenting with voice and facial expressions.
To start with, my rehearsals will involve activities such as
the actors telling each other silly jokes, or creating abstract still images of
certain themes that can allow each actor to come out of their comfort zone. To
highlight a sense of humour that some of the characters in the play aren’t
apparent off, I would get my actors in rehearsals to produce a movement piece,
or still image that is funny, however they are not allowed to laugh, smile or
show any form of fun.
When it comes to performing actual scenes in the play, scene
1 for example, I would set the stage outside in a park, or in a field to make
the atmosphere calm and tranquil. For vocal comedy, when Calenice appears, I
would want her to come across as play full and fun, however sensual and flirty.
With lines such as “Big and meaty you mean?” and “Something pretty flimsy,
then, surely, if it’s so easy to toss about?” I would want Calenice to talk
very slow and in an obvious way, address the audience when she makes these
sensual remarks. I get the impression she is purposefully tantalising and
winding Lysistrata up with these remarks, therefore actions such as winks
towards the audience, or caressing something in her hand are the sort of actions
that would express the joke she is playing towards her friend.
For physical comedy, take scene 1 again however further on
down the scene when Myrrhine arrives, this is where I would like it to get more
physical in terms of using more space. After Lysistrata has told them her idea
of renouncing sex, both Calenice and Myrrhine seemed startled and taken aback,
and to really express this shock, but also highlight the humour, I would want
Calenice to fall on her knees and act as though the worst thing that could
possibly happen has happened. I would like Myrrhine to be so taken aback at
first that her body is frozen, but then suddenly she starts breathing heavy and
quick, and over dramatic as though she has minutes left to live. When Myrrhine
says “But look, suppose we did renounce-what you said-which may heaven forbid-“
at this point I would like her to turn to the audience on the line of “heaven
forbid” I would like her to turn to the audience and say this with a stern but
insecure voice which will highlight her serious humour.
No comments:
Post a Comment